Our client, a not for profit professional association has more than 37,000 members residing in 108 countries. They are the first and largest organization in the world dedicated to advances in all areas of high-quality, innovative cancer research. Its mission is to prevent and cure all cancers. The programs and activities foster the exchange of new knowledge among scientists and physicians in the cancer field as well as in related biomedical sciences. Our client publishes eight peer-reviewed scientific journals and an award-winning magazine for cancer patients and their loved ones; convenes topical scientific conferences and an annual meeting that draws more than 19,400 participants; offers educational workshops that train young investigators in a variety of scientific and clinical areas; funds fellowships, career development awards, and research grants for both senior and junior investigators; raises public awareness of the progress in and reasons for hope in the biology, detection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer; engages actively in advocacy for increased federal research funding and other national policies that accelerate progress against cancer; and interacts with regulatory agencies to support regulatory science and policy.
Director of Marketing - Please note that not for profit association experience is highly preferred.
The successful candidate will direct the marketing team and assume leadership in and responsibility for the creation and execution of marketing strategies and tactics. Inherent in this position is the gathering and analysis of member, nonmember end-user, and marketplace data to establish the future direction for marketing and positioning of products and services through a variety of mechanisms for the intended audiences. Such audiences include the diverse worldwide community of cancer scientists, physicians, other health care professionals, members of the public interested in cancer, and policymakers and advocates for cancer research, treatment, and prevention. This individual will also be responsible for targeted marketing of the organization to its member and nonmember base, international cancer community, and the general public, positioning the organization as the unique voice and leader in the cancer research field.
The Director of Marketing will work closely with the Senior Director of Marketing and Creative Services to develop and implement the overall marketing strategy, and will work collaboratively with other departments/divisions to strategically articulate and enhance the or position as the world’s premier cancer research association.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, and evaluates successful marketing strategies that are consistent with the organizations’ s unique mission, values, and strategic plan.
- Provides direction and creative input into the organization’s multifaceted marketing programs that promote all of its activities through integrated processes, including traditional, digital, and social media marketing venues.
- Increases visibility among key constituencies.
- Develops and oversees the creation and implementation of short- and long-term marketing plans in cooperation with each department/division.
- Conceptualizes and implements market research studies to determine member and/or user satisfaction with programs and services to analyze results and measure success.
- Works with department/division leaders to consider revisions to strategic directions and marketing plans based on the results of these studies and the changing environment as necessary.
- Tailors messaging and delivery mechanisms for targeted outreach to various audiences through a wide variety of outlets, ranging from internet marketing (including social media, website promotion, and email announcements) to more traditional methods such as direct mail, meeting exhibits, advertisements, brochures, and postcards.
- Provides weekly updates on marketing plan progress to Senior Director, and develops reports to gauge progress of campaigns.
- Works with Senior Director and marketing team to develop annual marketing budgets that are consistent with marketing plans agreed upon with each department/division.
- Builds, trains, motivates, grows, and leads the marketing team to ensure that it meets the overall needs of the Organization. Maximizes the internal productivity of the marketing team while enhancing and promoting communication, collaboration, and coordination with other departments/divisions.
- Works with the Communications Department to promote and build awareness of the organization’s activities, and ensures that messaging to various constituencies is consistent, and that cross-departmental activities are properly coordinated.
- Interacts with the Communications and other departments to ensure that website content is regularly refreshed with engaging information that reflects the priorities and various activities of the Association.
- Utilizes tools and tactics for search engine optimization in coordination with the Communications and IT Departments.
- Works with the Membership Department to ensure the promotion of the Association’s recruitment and retention efforts. Prepares content for various constituencies and distributes it through a variety of channels to promote the benefits of membership and participation in activities.
- Works with the Program Development Department and conferences leadership to identify audiences for, create awareness of, and drive abstract submissions and attendance at conferences, meetings, and educational workshops.
- Works with the Scientific Awards and Grants Administration staff to market their services.
- Works with the administrative staff for Scientific Working Groups to promote their activities.
- Works with the Survivor and Patient Advocacy staff in Washington, DC to build awareness of and participation in the partnership between scientists and individuals from the cancer survivor and patient advocacy communities.
- Collaborates with the Publisher and Publications Marketing and Sales staff to support the marketing of journals.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director and staff in the planning and execution of marketing activities to support the Foundation’s efforts to expand public outreach and generate philanthropic revenue.
- Supports the Human Resources Department by developing informational materials and hosting events for employers and job seekers.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills including expertise in writing marketing centric copy
- Proven leadership, project management, and strong interpersonal skills
- A successful track record of providing innovative solutions to meet established goals and benchmarks
- Experience with developing and delivering results-oriented marketing campaigns according to deadlines
- Expertise in survey market research and analysis of results
- Experience working in an environment where work activities and deliverables are dependent on collaboration with a diverse group of creative, technical, and business experts
- Experience developing and managing marketing budgets
- Strong track record promoting online information resources, conferences, membership, and associated activities
- Independent, self-motivated, and detail-oriented execution of duties
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, or related field; advanced degree preferred
- Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook. Knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite and Salesforce a plus.
- Knowledge of Association software systems, such as IMIS, desirable
- Minimum 10+ years leadership experience in marketing, preferably with experience with not-for-profit organizations
- Knowledge of or familiarity with life science organizations or cancer-related charities a plus